How you can support this year's Trans Youth Summer Camps
Can you help us create the biggest ever trans youth camping experience that we think the world has ever seen?
This year Gendered Intelligence are taking 220 young trans people camping on 2 different residential trips, and we need tents, lights and bunting.
There are three ways you can help us.
1. Donate to our fundraising page
We have to raise £10,000 to support this year's camps. We aim to provide a full bursary for any young person who requests one.
2. Donate a tent, lights or bunting
If you have an old tent in the loft/ shed, can buy us some solar or battery powered fairy lights, or can make us some bunting - that would be awesome!
Tents! Mostly we are in need of 2 person tents, or larger 'pod' tents which have different sleeping compartments around a central sleeping area. But really we'll take any tents going! The main thing is we would prefer permanent donations rather than loans as it'll be tricky for us to sort out getting them back to you.
If you live in London or nearby, we will try to collect the tent from you.
Light! We'd love to light up our forest campsite with lots of fairly lights and solar lights that stick in the ground to light up pathways... Solar or battery powered only please, but essentially more the merrier on how much we can get donated.
Decoration! Lastly, if you are more crafty and have some time and spare material, we are looking to decorate our site in trans colours, differentiating each area of the site with either blue, pink or purple flags and bunting. Again, endless metres of all would be awesome, so if you want to string up some bunting for us, or make some flags, we'd totally love it.
We have created an Amazon wish list so you can easily see and gift the items that we need for both camps. You can find the wish list here.
Please post any donations to
Voluntary Action Islington
200a Pentonville Road
London N1 9JP
or email Jake Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Please let us know you have made a donation so we can thank you!
Trans Youth Summer Camps 2018
Super Camp booking form link is below - it opens at midday on Saturday, 28th of April
This year is Gendered Intelligence's 10 year anniversary and we will be running our 10th and 11th camps. So we’re doing something a bit special. We’re celebrating by making camp supersized! Super Camp will involve us taking 180 young trans and non-binary people aged 18-25 camping for 5 days and 4 nights, from the 13th – 17th August 2018.
Alongside Super Camp we’ll be running an 11 – 17 year olds camp for 35 young people, going for our usual 4 days and 3 nights from the 27th – 30th July 2018.
Camp for 11-17 year olds
- 35 places (We have raised this number to 40 in response to demand and we are now operating a waiting list)
- 27th-30th July(4 days and 3 nights)
- Prep day on 23rd June 2018, 11am-6pm
- You must attend the prep day to be able to go on camp.
Booking for the 11-17 camp is now closed.
Booking for Super Camp is now closed.
Do you have questions about Super Camp?
FAQS include all useful information you need to know before booking your place.
WHAT DO I NEED TO HAVE TO HAND WHEN I BOOK (AND WHY)?
Booking for Super Camp will go live on Saturday 28th April at midday (12:00GMT).
You will need to fill out all your details before your space is booked. We recommend you collect this information in advance of booking.
You will need to tell us:
- Phone number for emergency contact (someone we can contact if there is an emergency on camp)
- How much you can afford to pay for camp (please see the 4 tiers above) and one sentence explaining why
- The name and postcode of your Doctor's surgery
- Details of any allergies you have – including food, materials and medicines - please include hayfever
- Details of any medical conditions you have
- Details of any meds you are on – including name, dosage and how often you take them
- Information of your access needs
- If you have arranged to share a tent with others, you will need to tell us the first names and surnames of everyone in your group as well as if someone in your group is providing the tent. You will also need to let us know if you have space for other campers in your tent
- OR if you need a dorm room with a bed you will need to briefly tell us why.
Would you like to volunteer at either of the camps?
For both camps we are looking for trans, gender variant and non-binary identified people who would like to volunteer to work as youth workers on either camping trips. In addition, we are also looking for people who can be part of our practical team on Super Camp, for this you need cooking, DIY, practical, first aid skills, or be willing to go on a food hygiene and/or first aid course paid for by GI, at your convenience.
You must be aged 21 (or over) before the 1st of June 2018 to apply as a worker.
Fill in an application form and return it to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on the 19th March 2018. You will hear back from us by the beginning of April.