Page created: 17th September 2020
Last updated: 17th September 2020
Round-up 17th September
From time to time, even the Trans Lobby™ needs to take a few duvet days and recharge the batteries. As of today, we’re all back in the office and there has been some very exciting goings-on the past few days.
- Genderfluidity and/or non-binary identity is covered under the ‘gender reassignment’ protected characteristic of the Equality Act, per a recent employment tribunal. Whilst the first of its kind by way of case law, this could be a ground-breaking precedent and mean that, for the first time, there is explicit protection for non-binary people from discrimination.
- The BMA (British Medical Association) has debated their role in trans people’s right to self-determination and come to the conclusion that there shouldn’t be one! One GP said “as doctors, we should take no part in such a process”. From the BMA there is an overwhelming backing of self-identification, affirmation that trans people need and should have gender-appropriate healthcare, and that under-18s need the same. Good news all round!
- During the past few years, we will all have witnessed the same uptick in trans-hostile hit pieces across the British media. Against the backdrop of this, the Guardian ran an article on trans key workers during the ongoing pandemic.
- London Trans Pride happened on Saturday – and what a balm it must’ve been for everyone there. There’s some background information to the Why here and Overwhelming grace and beauty in this photo journal of the day from Vogue.
- The Trades Union Congress, with 5.5 million members, came out for trans rights while condemning LGB Alliance. Read more on PinkNews.