Parents and Carers Sessions
Would you like support with:
Understanding the differences between sex, gender and sexual orientation, and how they might interact.
Discovering the wide range of identities and language used by young trans and non binary people.
Learning about the rights trans and non binary people have in education, workplaces and healthcare.
Then Gendered Intelligence’s Parents and Carers session is for you
We provide half day (3 hour) trans awareness sessions enabling parents and carers to broaden their understanding of young trans people’s experiences. The session is based around interactive exercises, encouraging participants to get involved in thinking through what gender means to us all and how you can better support your child / young person. We will create a structured, but informal space for you to explore the topics and to ask questions.
At the end of the session you will have:
- An appreciation of how sex, gender and sexual orientation interact
- Improved understanding of trans identities, terms and language
- Increased confidence in supporting your child / young person
- Information about helpful resources
Who should attend?
Parents, guardians or carers supporting a child / young person who is trans, non-binary or questioning their gender.
Why should I attend?* The subject of trans people / gender identity may be new, or fairly new, to you and the session will help you to gain an understanding of the basics.
- You can learn about ways to support young trans people.
- It’s an opportunity to work and share thoughts with other parents / carers / guardians who may be having similar experiences.
- A good understanding of gender helps us understand some of our own approaches to gendered expectations.
- Understanding more about trans people and their rights will enable you to stand up for the child / young person in your life with confidence, as well as for trans communities in general.
- Having the opportunity to ask questions in a non-judgmental, safer space can help address any concerns you may have.
- The sessions take place in a small group setting, typically of no more than 14 people.
- All our trainers have a wealth of grass-roots community knowledge and experience to call on.
Session Dates - at our London Location
Timings: 12:30pm arrival (for a prompt 1:00pm start) – 4:00pm
Location: VAI building, very close to King's Cross station, London
Full price £45 (10 places available)
Reduced fee for:
A second parent/carer attending the same session as another parent/carer of the same child
Anyone on low income who cannot afford the full fee
Gendered Intelligence is subsidising the cost of running these sessions in order to offer these prices. We are not asking for evidence of low income as we are operating on an honesty basis, but we ask people only to request a reduced fee place if it is genuinely needed, to maximise access to the sessions.
Booking a Place
You can use this form to book a place.
(If you experience any difficulties accessing the form, please contact us on 0207 832 5848 and ask for Cathy Leech or mail email@example.com)
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking
Please note our confirmation system is run by actual humans so doesn't generate an instant reply, however, we always do issue a confirmation, so if you don't hear from us within a week, please contact us.