Gendered Intelligence

Gender Identity Clinics

Gender identity clinics (GICs) are special clinics responsible for trans-related healthcare. This includes diagnosis with ‘gender dysphoria’, hormone prescriptions, and surgery referrals. These are usually a team of psychiatrists and psychologists. Some teams have endocrinologists and voice therapists too. Below is a list of GICs in the UK. GICs require a referral from a GP and sometimes from a local CMHT.

Belfast GIC
Windsor House
Belfast City Hospital
51 Lisburn Road
N. Ireland
Telephone: 028-90263932
or 028-90329241 ext -2452

How can I get referred?
Referrals to this service can only be made by GPs, Mental Health professionals or Social Services through One Point of Referral.

Devon - West of England Specialist Gender Identity Clinic
The Laurels
Old Newton Abbot Hospital
62 East Street
Newton Abbot
TQ12 4PT
01626 357362

How can I get referred?
Accepts referrals from GPs throughout England.

Glasgow - The Sandyford
2/6 Sandyford Place Glasgow
G3 7NB
0141 211 8130

How can I get referred?
Self-referral from anywhere in Scotland (this means you can refer yourself by contacting the clinic

Leeds Gender Identity Clinic
Management suite
1st floor Newsam Centre
Seacroft Hospital
York Road
LS14 6WB
Office Tel: 0113 3056346
Team Manager Tel: 0113 3056309

How can I get referred?
Accepts referrals from GPs throughout the North of England.

London - West London Mental Health Trust
Gender Identity Clinic
179-183 Fulham Palace Road
W6 8QZ
Tel: 020 8483 2800
Fax: 020 8483 2873

How can I get referred?
Accepts referrals from GPs all over the UK

Chalmers Sexual Health Centre in Edinburgh
2A Chalmers St
Phone:0131 536 1070

How can I get referred?
From the website: The service is for patients in Lothian who can refer themselves or be referred by a GP or other health care professional. To contact gender clinic staff at Chalmers Centre phone 0131 536 1505 and ask for the ‘gender clinic secretary’.

Newcastle - Northern Region Gender Dysphoria Service - Specialist Service
Benfield House
Walkergate Park
Benfield Road
Tel: 0191 287 6130

How can I get referred?
Via Psychiatrist, GP or Consultant Physician from anywhere in the northern region.

Nottingham Gender Clinic
Mandala Centre
Gregory Boulevard
Nottingham NG7 6LB
Telephone: 0115 960 2820

How can I get referred?
Referrals via GP. Website also says: "We will see anyone over the age of 17 who experiences distress about their assigned gender. We also accept referrals of 16 year olds who will be 17 at the time of their first appointment".

Sheffield - The Porterbrook Clinic
75, Osborne Road
Nether Edge Hospital
S11 9BF
0114 271 6671 Fax 0114 271 8693

For more information about services in Grampian and the Highlands (Scotland), please see Action for Trans* Health.

Private practitioners for gender care.

There are private practitioners that offer psychological services to trans people or people who are questioning their gender identity. You may wish to pursue private counselling and/ or psychotherapy to support you with your thinking about your gender identity. There are also a number of different private gender specialists who can diagnose gender dysphoria, prescribe hormone therapy and refer people for surgery. In most cases, you do not require a GP or psychiatrist referral - it's a case of phoning and making the appointment yourself. Individual practitioners will have different requirements for different types of treatment, so it's worth finding out more about the practice.

Dr Richard Curtis

Dr Stuart Lorimer

Dr Lyndsey Myskow

Navigating Knowledge is Power

Back to Gender Care Pathways

Back to beginning

Support Us

Become a friend of Gendered Intelligence.


Find out about volunteering for Gendered Intelligence.


Training for professionals on trans issues.

Keep up to date

Be first to know what we're up to - join our mailing list.

Get me out of here