Training for Staff working in Educational Settings
Gendered Intelligence can offer a range of sessions from 90 mins upwards. We have two standard training sessions, ‘Introduction to Trans Awareness’ (half day) and ‘Trans Awareness: The Basics’ (90 mins face-to-face / 105 mins remote delivery).
Each session contextualises trans identities; covers use of language; offers an overview of relevant laws; explores how to be trans inclusive with specific emphasis on students and links to a wide range of resources. In educational settings, the half day is excellent for those who need a higher level of understanding, for example, pastoral staff, those working directly with young trans people especially form tutors / heads of year, and those setting policy. The short session is a good choice if you have limited time for staff training, or want something for the wider staff body. It sits well in the context of an INSET day or similar. The two sessions work very well in conjunction with each other. The short session ensures everyone has a basic level of awareness and knowledge and the half day creates a cohort of more knowledgeable staff who can be approached for more detail.
Staff training is typically useful in one or more of the following circumstances
- The institute has an ethos of equality and inclusion, but would like an increased understanding of gender diversity and what it means to include trans people
- One or more students have identified themselves as trans or gender questioning and the institute wants to know more about how to support them
- The institute would like to tackle and prevent Homophobic, Biphobic and Transphobic (HBT) or gender-based prejudice and bullying
- The institute has engaged Gendered Intelligence to deliver 1:1 mentoring to a trans student and wants to ensure staff are well prepared to offer support
- The institute has engaged Gendered Intelligence to deliver workshops, lectures or assemblies to students and wants to ensure staff feel confident to field questions arising
We can offer all our sessions in-house at your premises (C19 permitting), or via live remote delivery. If you just want one or two people to attend, or you want to try us out, you might be interested in our Continuing Professional Development training sessions for individuals.
For full details of our sessions - content, learning outcomes, maximum numbers, pricing and more – visit our main Training page. Educational settings automatically benefit from our maximum discount. We are very happy to answer questions from any educational institute about the content, approach and underpinning principles of our training – just contact us via the Training page.
What people say about our training
“One of the best training sessions I have attended. [The trainer] was fantastic, friendly and helpful and it was great to finally feel comfortable and confident talking about these issues. Thank you!”
- Jamie Graney, Student Recruitment, Lancaster University
“Feel very empowered to talk to colleagues and students about all things trans”
- Course participant, University of Hertfordshire
“Excellent session, good discussions. I feel much more informed and able to answer questions that might arise”
- School Counsellor, Solihull School
“Well-paced, informative training session which met our needs perfectly. [The trainer] established a very comfortable environment in which people were able to ask questions”
-Senior Tutor, Merton College, Oxford
“Very well presented ... [The trainer was] very knowledgeable. Felt very able to contribute. [The trainer] set a perfect tone to the session which encouraged discussion”
-Careers Consultant, Lancaster University
“Thank you very much! Very valuable information and discussions. Really good presentation, friendly atmosphere”
-Welfare Manager, School and Sixth Form Centre, Kent
“Excellent - really clear, concise and enlightening. Thanks very much”
-Denise Brahms, Deputy Headteacher, St Mary’s School, Wigan