Gendered Intelligence Continuing Professional Development Sessions
Do you want to:
Find out what ‘trans’ is all about?
Gain confidence to approach situations involving a trans client, student or colleague?
Understand what your organisation might need to do to comply with Equalities law?
Then Gendered Intelligence’s “Introduction to Trans Awareness” is for you
We provide half day professional development trans awareness sessions enabling professionals to broaden their understanding of issues faced by trans people.
The session is based around interactive exercises, encouraging participants to get involved in thinking through what trans means and ways to achieve equality and inclusivity in practice.
At the end of the session you will have:
- An appreciation of how sex, gender and sexual orientation interact
- Improved understanding of trans identities, terms and language
- A basic grounding in the key laws relating to trans people
- Increased awareness of trans issues and ways to be trans inclusive
- Increased confidence in working with trans colleagues/clients
- Information about helpful resources
Who should attend?
People from any discipline or field of work are welcome, whether you already have trans clients, staff or pupils, or whether you are thinking about the contacts you’ll have in future.
Past participants include people working in: Local Authorities, businesses, schools, colleges and universities, the NHS, legal professions, youth services, housing associations, counselling, sexual health, theatre / the arts and many more.
Why should I attend?
A good understanding of trans people is important not only for good practice, but because “gender reassignment” is now a protected characteristic under the Equalities Act.
The proportion of people falling somewhere on the broad trans spectrum is estimated at around 1%. Of those, the number seeking a medically supported transition is growing rapidly. Any organisation now needs to be ready to encounter real-life situations involving trans people.
Our sessions offer the opportunity to check out terms you’ve heard and practices you’ve heard of and ask “Is it OK to…?” in a small group setting, typically of no more than 15 people.
All our trainers have a wealth of grass-roots community knowledge and experience to call on.
Session Dates - at our London Location
We aim to offer sessions at our London venue every few weeks. The next dates are:
- Wednesday, 15th August, 2018 [BOOKING CLOSED]
- Tuesday, 18th September, 2018
- Thursday, 18th October, 2018
1:15pm arrival (for a prompt 1:30 start) – 5:00pm
Location: VAI building, very close to King's Cross station, London
Scroll down for London location price bands and booking information
Session Dates - hosted by Other Organisations
There are no current sessions being hosted by other organisations.
If your organisation is interested in hosting a session, please scroll down to the section on "Hosting"
Fees for Half Day CPD sessions at our London Location
PLEASE NOTE: All fees for session dates hosted by other organisations, are at the regular, standard rate of £85/person,
Early bird, Reduced rate and Multi booking discounts DO NOT apply to these sessions
Early bird fees apply to bookings at GI's London Location that are made up to 3 weeks in advance of the session date.
- Early bird for 15th August closes 25th July
- Early bird for 18th September closes 28th August
- Early bird for 18th October closes 27th September
Regular fee booking usually closes two working days before the session unless the session is fully booked - even after that, it's always worth contacting us by phone or email (contact details below) to see if there's a last minute place available.
- 3 people from the same organisation attending the same session: see table above
- 4 or more people: If you would be interested in 4 or more people from your organisation attending a session, please contact us - it may be a better option for you to have an in-house session just for your organisation. This has the added benefits that we can use scenarios that are all directly relevant to your organisation, we can train on your site avoiding your travel time / costs for multiple people and we can arrange a date / time convenient to you.
We are also happy to extend the multiple booking rate for 3 people to larger numbers.
If you would like to discuss either of these options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 832 5848 and ask for Cathy Leech
Booking a Place
You can use this form to book a place.
(If you experience any difficulties accessing the form, please contact us on 0207 832 5848 and ask for Cathy Leech or mail email@example.com)
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking
Please note our confirmation system is run by actual humans so doesn't generate an instant reply, however, we always do issue a confirmation, so if you don't hear from us within a week, please contact us.
Here are some comments from our 5000+ past training participants:
“I thought you should know that your training with us has garnered rave reviews, including a comment from one experienced member of staff that it had been the best training session she had ever attended.”
– 999 Club (working with homeless people), London, 2016
“Excellent session, and I feel so much better informed as a result. In particular, I feel far more confident in asking the questions necessary to ensure trans colleagues or clients receive equal service.”
– Lowri Williams, Head of HR, Welsh Assembly, 2015
“[The trainer] was an open, honest and informative speaker. He could answer school related issues with confidence.”
- Peter Jones, St Edmund Arrowsmith Catholic High School, Wigan, 2016
“This training was possibly the best I have attended in the last year. The trainer was exceptionally knowledgeable, approachable and humorous. I … will be making some organisational changes, which are so easy to make and may have a large impact on people in the future. Thank you so much for your time!”
– Susan Venton, Vice President, Moody’s Investors Service, 2015
"Session was VERY informative and excellent ... [The trainer] was fantastic, made everyone feel very relaxed and encouraged us all to ask questions and engage in conversation without being worried about sounding silly or saying the wrong thing.”
- NHS staff member, 2016
“Presenter / trainer was excellent - I would recommend this training. It was well pitched, the pace was just right and the accompanying resources excellent.”
– Head of Student Services, Leeds College of Music, 2015
Gendered Intelligence can offer this and other sessions as cost-effective in-house packages.
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 832 5848 and ask for Cathy Leech
Hosting an Open Session
Could you host a Gendered Intelligence Introduction to Trans Awareness Session?
We would like to offer our open training courses in more locations, beyond London, working alongside organisations keen to build trans awareness in their areas. If your organisation could host an open session, we would be pleased to offer a number of free places on the session for staff from your organisation in return. The session is for a maximum of 15 people in total.
We are looking for venues / hosts that:
- Can accommodate a minimum of 15 people, (ideally sitting at tables)
- Are accessible for those with disabilities
- Are in a location that is reasonably easy to get to / has good transport links
- Can offer basic tea and biscuits
- Can provide a projector, laptop and flipchart plus suitable projection wall/screen
- Have strong / extensive local networks through which you are willing and able to invest efforts to promote the session
If you would like to host a session but can't offer everything on the list, talk to us anyway; we can be flexible in some areas. The most important thing is your ability to use your local contacts to create enough interest to fill the session.
If interested, please contact email@example.com or call 0207 832 5848 and ask for Cathy Leech
Contact Gendered Intelligence Training on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 832 5848 and ask for Cathy Leech, Professional Services Administrator
Share our CPD: Trans Awareness Training page