Waiting List Warriors!
Our Support Line Service is offering a new online support group for those who are on the NHS Gender Identity Clinic waiting list. We know that it can be very hard while you’re waiting to access the Gender Identity Clinics. Waiting times are incredibly long and it can be challenging to look after your mental health during this time. That is why we are starting these groups so that you can share space with other people who are also waiting, so that we can support each other. Each month, we will focus on a different topic, including: ‘What to do when dysphoria takes over’, ‘The clothes we wear and our identity’, 'Accessible exercise’ and ‘How to change your name via deed poll’.
What is the purpose of this group?
This group is centred around supporting one another as you wait for gender affirmative healthcare. We want to create space to talk about the difficulties of waiting whilst also sharing advice and support.
Who can join?
- We will prioritise those who are on the waiting list/being seen at Nottingham, East of England, The Laurels or Sheffield Porterbrook Gender Identity Clinic.
- Due to the high demand for this group we can no longer take sign ups from people who are outside of these 4 GICs - we will update this page when that changes. If you are not from one of these 4 GICS but have already signed up and been contacted, you are still able to attend.
- This group is for anyone over 18, we want this group to be a welcoming intergenerational space for adults of all ages. For those who are under 30 and unsure if you want to attend our youth groups, Waiting List Warriors (or both!) please chat to us.
When is it and how long?
- The last Wednesday of every month starting 22nd February 2023
- Lasts up to 2 hours
Who is running the group?
- This group is run by two GI staff members who work on the Support Line Service.
- We will also have guest facilitators and speakers - who either have expertise in specific areas or specific lived experience.
- The facilitators do not represent every aspect of the trans community, we treat everyone as experts in their own experience and aim for the group to be non-hierarchical in terms of ideas and opinions.
- The group will run for two hours and is via Zoom. You will be emailed the rolling zoom link via the Support Line Service.
- You can join at any time during the two hour session and can leave whenever too.
- We encourage people to have their cameras on but we understand that for some this won’t feel okay and that is okay too!